Friday 5 June 2009

Dartington Hall

I am new to the area, and so I’ve been taking advantage of the (surprising) weather to do some exploring. Obviously my first trip had to be Dartington Hall itself (well, by way of the sweet shack at the Cider Press Centre…). My sister and I wound our way up the hill, past the picturesque church filled with wildflowers, and some local cricketers resplendent in their whites against the green. We entered the grounds through the gardens, stopping off at Dorothy Elmhirst’s folly to admire the view (and have some sweets), and then made our way to the sunken garden. It really is a breathtaking sight, standing at the top – it’s a long way down to the lawns and flowerbeds. The Medieval Hall is simple but very atmospheric – you can almost imagine King Arthur holding court within the whitewashed walls and high ceiling. Now that would be surprising – but all our various writers will be just as amazing!
Rachel Intern xx

No comments:

Post a Comment